Below are the Show Me Tell Me Questions that you will be asked at the start of your test...
You will be asked One Show Me and One Tell Me Question.
1. Show/Tell Me how you would check the directional indicators are working ?
With the ignition off, switch on the hazard lights and walk round the vehicle, checking all bulbs are working.
2. Show/Tell Me how you would check the side, head and tail lights were working ?
With the ignition off, turn on the appropriate lights and walk round the vehicle.
3. Identify the windscreen washer reservoir and tell me how you would check the screen wash level ?
Pop and secure the bonnet and then identify the reservoir. Explain that the level must be between the minimum and maximum and look inside if possible.
4. Identify where you would check the engine oil and tell me how you would know there was enough oil ?
When the engine is cold, pop and secure the bonnet, identify the dipstick, explain you would remove it, wipe it with a cloth, replace it in the holder and then remove it again to check the level is between the min/max. If it's too low you would top it up.
5. Identify where you would check the engine coolant level and how you would know it was at the correct level ?
Pop the bonnet, identify the engine coolant, check the level is between the min/max. If low top up but Never remove the cap while the engine is warm.
6. Identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and how you would check there was a sufficient amount ?
Pop the bonnet,identify the reservoir and check against the min/max level.
7. Tell me how you would check the brakes are working before starting a journey ?
Apply pressure to the brake pedal, they should feel firm and not slack or spongy. Test them as you drive off, the car should not pull to one side.
8. Show/Tell Me how you would check the brake lights were working ?
You could reverse up to a reflective surface (garage door), apply the brakes and look in the interior mirror. You should see red lights, one on either side of the vehicle and sometimes a third in or above the rear window. The other option is to ask someone to go to the back of your vehicle.
9. Show/Tell Me how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey ?
Gently rock the steering wheel, it should feel heavy. As you start the ignition, keep gently rocking the wheel and the steering should become light. Also there may be a warning light on the dashboard.
10. Show/Tell Me how you would check the parking brake (Handbrake) for excessive wear ?
Apply the footbrake, release the handbrake and then apply it again as normal so that its fully secured and is not at the end of it working travel (too high).
11. Tell Me where you would find the recommended information for tyre pressures in this vehicle and how tyre pressure should be checked ?
In the manufacturers guide, which should be in the glove box and using a reliable pressure gauge (available at most petrol stations), remove the dust caps, check and adjust the pressure if required and replace the dust caps. Check the spare also and always check tyres when they are cold.
12. Tell me how you would check the head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of an accident ?
The head restraint should be adjusted so that half way down the padded area is in line with your eyes/top of your ears and if possible tilted forward .
13. Tell me how you would check the tyres for sufficient tread depth and how you would know that their general condition was safe for use on the road ?
The tread depth MUST be a MINIMUM of 1.6mm over the central 3/4 of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference. There must be no cuts or bulges.
14. Show/Tell Me how you would check the horn is working ? (off road)
When off road press the horn, if not off road demonstrate where to press the horn.
15. Show Me how you would wash the windscreen using the wipers and washers ?
With the ignition on, operate the controls to wash and wipe the windscreen.
16. Show Me how you would set all the demisters to clear the windows ?
With the engine off for the demonstration, adjust all the controls to demist the front/rear windows.
17. Show Me how you would switch on the rear fog lights and explain how you would use them ?
With the ignition on, switch on dipped headlights and then switch on the front/rear fog lights. Explain they should only be used when visibility drops below 100 metres. Identify the warning lights on the dashboard.
18. Tell Me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system ?
The warning light on the dashboard should illuminate and identify where that is.
19. Show Me how you would switch the head lights from dipped beam to main(full) beam and whilst in the car, how you would know they were on ?
Ignition on if necessary, switch the lights on and then the main beam, the warning light on the dash will change colour.